Chocolate Berry Cake
Prep: 10 Minutes
Cook: 10 Minutes
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 40g cocoa powder
- 110g low-fat spread
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 450g raspberries and hulled strawberries (fresh or frozen; defrost frozen berries before using)
- 25g white chocolate, melted
- 25g dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4.
- Line a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder into the mixing bowl of a food processor. Add the low-fat spread, sugar and eggs then blitz to combine.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until springy in the middle.
- Leave in the tin to cool for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice the cake in half horizontally.
- Roughly crush two-thirds of the berries with a fork, then spread them over one half of the cake and stack the other half on top.
- Arrange the remaining berries on top of the cake, then drizzle over the melted chocolate and leave to set before serving.