Nobody can resist these wonderfully chocolatey brownies, and, unusually, they are made with mayonnaise, rather than butter or spread! Look for chocolate with around 70% cocoa solids for the best flavour.
Cheat’s chocolate brownies
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- ½ teaspoon low fat spread
- 75g (2 ¾ oz) dark chocolate, about 70% cocoa solids, broken into even-sized pieces
- 75g(2 ¾ oz) plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 150g (5 ½ oz) caster sugar
- 25g (1 oz) cocoa powder
- 2 eggs, separated
- 100g (3 ½ oz) extra light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C. Line the base of an 18 cm (7inch) square cake tin with baking paper and grease the sides with the low fat spread.
- Fill a medium size saucepan with about 4cm (1 ½ inches) of hot water. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and rest the bowl on top of the pan so it fits snugly-do not let the water touch the bottom of the bowl. Bring the water to a gentle simmer and heat the chocolate, stirring occasionally until it has melted. Carefully remove the bowl from the pan and let the melted chocolate cool slightly.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl. Reserving 1 teaspoon of the cocoa powder, stir the rest into the mixture, then stir in the sugar.
- Beat together the egg yolks, mayonnaise, vanilla extract and milk in a separate bowl, then stir this mixture into the flour mixture. Stir in the melted chocolate.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl for about 1 minute, until they form soft peaks, then carefully fold them into the chocolate mixture with a metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, spread into an even layer and bake for 20-25 minutes until the cake is risen and just firm. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out and cut into 16 pieces.